Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Martin Grossman and his frum murderers...

Any reader of this blog knows how opposed I am of the death penalty.
Here's one example

Since I can remember, I've been a lone sheep debating my position, from Shabbos tables to dormitory rooms, to offices. I have yet to meet a minyan of frum people in my life that agrees with me on this issue. It's just part of the whole hook line and sinker of conservative, talk radio mind numbing rhetoric that seems to have gripped us as a whole and have taken away any ability to think with our own faculties.
I therefore sit here today flabbergasted, sad, angry and ashamed of my brethren...who I implicitly accuse of murdering one of our own.

How on earth can you so blindly support the death penalty every opportunity you have while turning a blind eye to every plea of clemency and every utterance of "bleeding heart liberal" calls for mercy, and then get the chutzpah to act all shocked when a Jew is caught in the trap that YOU have set??

And then how dare you accuse the Governor of Anti Semitism when all is doing is following the laws that YOU frum Jew have always supported??

I stand here today fully convinced that I'm the last frum person standing with common sense left...


.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mystery Woman said...

I have to disagree with you on this. And I'm not coming from that "conservative talk radio mind numbing rhetoric". I just put myself in the place of the mother...or sister...or wife...or child...of whoever was murdered in cold blood. And in that case, I'd want whoever did it gone. Off the face of the earth.
I know I'm sounding cruel and unfeeling, and that's not the way I usually am, but this is how I feel about this issue.

February 17, 2010 10:30 AM  
Anonymous David said...

of course...thats mob logic..and emotional expression..
Thats also precisely why we have laws..to protect society from mob rule.

February 17, 2010 10:43 AM  
Blogger Mystery Woman said...

Not mob logic at all. Emotional expression...maybe. But that IS the law in some states.
I didn't say I'd kill the murderer myself (although is someone TOUCHES my kid, I might want to). I'm just saying...it's a law I think is fair.

February 17, 2010 10:55 AM  
Anonymous chav said...

what about spending life in prison?? why is that not punishment enough? i think if i were a victim's close relative, i would rather see the murderer live a life devoid of any enjoyment, with no chance of parole.

February 17, 2010 3:56 PM  
Blogger C said...

I don't think humans have the right to decide the value of life. Murder is wrong, but how does killing a murderer make it right?

February 17, 2010 4:59 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Mystery..
How could killing another human possible be fair?
When all it's doing is satisfying you own desire for revenge..?

chav..
exactly.
Taking a life..is so permanent and irreversible...

c
amen to that

February 17, 2010 10:04 PM  
Anonymous me... said...

the torah does leave room for the family of the murdered to take revenge... that's why there's a place called an "ihr nidachas"

and yes, that's a place where people who did NOT pre-meditate the murder had to run to or else run the threat of falling into the hands of the relatives.

February 18, 2010 9:19 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

me..
You mean Ihr Miklat...
Yes when there was manslaughter the family was allowed to avenge the death but there is a way out....the killer cannot be touched in the Ihr Miklat..
If the Torah dictates something like that..then that becomes Gods will..at that moment..but outside of that..it's wrong..and it's murder.
So certainly lessons are not to be learned and analogies drawn to real life situations today..based on those clear cut biblical injunctions.

February 18, 2010 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home