Thursday, August 10, 2006

Yuck!


What better time to try a new food than after a fast..right?

So every year after Tisha B'av I break my fast on something I usually don't like.
Last year it was Olives. I could never eat olives..but after the fast..the smell actually made my mouth water.
Two years ago it was Mushrooms.

This year it didn't work. I tried...I really tried..but I was ready to continue fasting rather than eat...Eggplant.

Eggplant

Chatzilim..

I can't even look at it.

Why is that? Why do we harbor such intense likes and dislikes?

Well..before you go running to Google..I did all the work for you.
It seems that it's a combination of genes, facial structure, environment and what we see eaten at home.
Talk about a safe theory...gee what else could it be?

A big part of what we like and dislike is determined by more than our tastebuds...it's smell and sight that play a big role.
We've known since we're small children that if you close your nose you can't taste.
As a matter of fact the Kli Yakar says that the word Mun, as in the biblical food Manna, hints to the miracle of it having all tastes. The Mem and the Nun are the only 2 letters that cannot be said with your nose closed...and the nose is what controls what we taste.

I read recently about this restaurant in Paris that serves you in a completely dark room. You cannot see a thing.
Supposedly your lack of one sense awakens your other senses and the food is supposed to taste awesome.

Hmm maybe next year I'll try the eggplant in the dark.

15 Comments:

Blogger anonym00kie said...

no olives, no mushrooms and no eggplants? what did you eat in israel??
my taste aversion is to lentils .. there goes india for me :)

August 10, 2006 9:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 11, 2006 2:43 AM  
Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

interesting idea! i also don't like eggplant (chazilim)... maybe one day i'll try it again.
it's all about texture for me... there are certain foods i don't like cos the texture feels odd.

m00kie: i managed to avoid it in israel as well as chummus and techina... i just never acquired the taste for it :P

August 11, 2006 2:44 AM  
Blogger ggggg said...

Idon't get the Mem and Nun thing. I closed my nose, and was able to say it just fine!

Eggplant is yummy btw.

August 11, 2006 10:43 AM  
Blogger Nails said...

Oh wow. I can't imagine going a week without eggplant.

August 11, 2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Eggplant is gross, but mushrooms? And olives? YUM! I eat those almost daily!

August 11, 2006 11:22 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

So cool about the letters. Why do you try the new foods right when you are starving? I don't like eggplant either.

August 11, 2006 1:43 PM  
Blogger Genendy said...

Gotta agree with Lakewood Venter on both points. (What a relief to know I wasn't the only nerd holding my nose and saying "mun, mun"). And what's with all the eggplant bashing?! ....Haterz.

August 11, 2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

LV and genendy....
It doesnt sound like a proper mem..it sound like BEB and NUN sounds like DUD...lol

I'm not bashing eggplant perse...just saying that to me....its disgusting...

August 11, 2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

anonym00kie...
Hmm felafel and bamba....lol


sarah...
I'm with you on that..the texture is part of the problem...

eshet...
well I got over the mushroom..and now...I love it

kyaroko...
well good thing ur not me
:-)

Stacey...
I love mushrooms and olives now....

limey...
Is that a fact..?

swfm...
because when I'm that hungry..usuallky...I can eat about anything

August 11, 2006 5:49 PM  
Blogger Lady-Light said...

Chatzilim? Mushrooms? Olives? I couldn't live without any of those, I love them so much!! Vat kind af a yid/israeli ar yoo, not to like chatzilim and olives? One can't be a decent Israeli without chamutzim, humus & tehina & olives & pickles. and what kind of a wife would you make, without knowing at least 100 eggplant recipes??
...er, husband.

August 13, 2006 1:48 AM  
Blogger Lady-Light said...

David, I decided to keep my link to your old blog, as well as just added this new one; I just felt that I didn't want your old poems to be lost to people. Truth is, you do have a talent! One of these days I'll post another of my father's (a"h) poems. The war just got in the way...have you read some of my links on 'clarity'?

August 13, 2006 2:04 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

ayala...
Are you kidding?..I LOVE cow brains..Theyre called sweet breads.
and thanks for stating what I failed to in regards to the prnunciation of M and N

ladylight...
apparently I'd make a lousy wife..lol
great job with that clarity post..mustve taken u forever..!

August 13, 2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger FrumGirl said...

I love your last line... you have such a cute sense of humor! It's so weird I cant think of anything that I dont like to eat... and of course not CHATZILIM!!! Are you kidding me? No babaganoush? No Eggplant Parmesean? There are so many other ways to prepare this....

August 15, 2006 2:43 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

FG....
babaganoush....parmesan...chatzilim..oh my
dunno..even coming from ur mouth..doesnt appeal..
*shrug*

August 16, 2006 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home