Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Summer of 93


Songs are like time capsules.
You hear it....during a stage in your life...
And then you can re-visit that time by listening to the song..
I don’t know about you..but it really works for me..
The mood..sights..sounds..smells..it all comes back..with the melody..



Audio:

I recently heard one such song..and it had me traveling back to a great time in my life and the world..
The summer of 1993.
Ahhh
The early 90s were a hopeful time..
Carefree..
Communism was dead..
Barriers were falling..
Peace was in the air..
East..West..Europe..Israel..South Africa..

I found myself in Europe that summer..backpacking with friends of mine..
Hopping trains..hitching rides..
Back then you could bypass a line of 300 cars at a border crossing with a pack of Marlboro..
Back then Americans were heroes..
Wherever you looked...
The wind of change was blowing..
There I am..peering out of a dirty window of a sputtering Russian car..the stench of cheap gas and even cheaper cigarettes...at Communist slogans and signs coming down..
Faces softening up..
And always..that song..
That song that celebrates a short lived optimism...
When the most pressing issue was the nature of the Presidents underwear..
When the Ace of Base ruled the European airwaves..
(for those that don't recall..)

But most of all it celebrates a summer of my life..that I will never forget..
A carefree month..getting to know the world..and myself..

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away
in the wind of change...



Oh..and by the way..this is what the Internet was like back then...

The Internet In 1993 - Watch more free videos

14 Comments:

Blogger Sara with NO H said...

I was 7, but I can honestly remember clear as a sunshiny day, that year.

June 28, 2007 2:26 AM  
Blogger Shoshana said...

Excellent song.

June 28, 2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger the dreamer said...

that year? hmmm... where was i...
i truly DON'T remember...
:P

June 28, 2007 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lets just all remember that song and its aftermath.
so we will be prepared for the next imaginary calm...

June 28, 2007 2:37 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I like those songs a lot.

June 28, 2007 8:27 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

sara...
wow..i dont remember much from my 7th year...

shoshana...
absolutely...

dreamer...
well it couldnt have been too exciting then..

gevezenner...
people especially young people will always dream and hope for better times...

swfm...
ye...me too

June 28, 2007 9:01 PM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

My memories start at about age 5. I blow my older sister away when I mention our old babysitter or our fights. A lot ofmy memories are really, really clear...

June 28, 2007 10:45 PM  
Blogger the dreamer said...

nope.
guess it wasn't...
must've been in grade school, getting kicked out of class or something... :)

June 29, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

sara...
wow..I know people like that,
My memories start at somewhere around 16..lol

dreamer...
ahhh I was a restless teenager in 93..
:-)

June 29, 2007 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just got goosebumps reading that..
its amazing how the years just blend one in the other and you think nothing's changed but when you pull one out like that, theres so much to remember..
obviously i wasnt 5 or 7 :)

and i looove that internet clip.. do you remember discovering the internet?? whocouldaknown!

June 29, 2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

m00kie...
Yup so true...like watching a clock hand move...suddenly its just 5 minutes ahead..

I remember my mother showing me this primitive internet back then..Compuserve was the only service providor..

June 29, 2007 11:21 AM  
Blogger Shmuel said...

Ace of Base? That's a blast from the past.
Reminds me for some odd reason of the arcade game Revolution, which featured Aerosmith as main characters and your gun shot CD's.
My nostalgia works in weird ways...

June 29, 2007 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorite all time songs... (not the Ace of Base one, lol)
My first memories are from when I was 3 yrs old...
We got the internet in '94 - but it
looked a lot more sophisticated than that.. Innocent times... We used to sit in chat rooms without any adult supervision and to be honest there was really nothing to dirty going on in there..

July 01, 2007 12:39 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

jewmaican...
Yes..it sure is..
Thats all that was playing that summer..
Not a big arcade guy so not sure..

allie...
Oh..u werent a fan of ace of base?..lol
I agree that song is great..
You rmemeber things from when you were 3??
The only memory I thought I had from back then ended up being all wrong (see my memory post)..
I first saw the internet in 95 and it was mainly black and white..forums..but it was exciting..and new..

July 01, 2007 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home