Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Exclusive Interview

An exclusive interview with the founder and executive director of BaDerech

David:
Tell us about your organization...

Founder and Executive Director:
I first noticed this tremendous opportunity 3 years ago. I was leaving center of town with 3 bags in each hand, when I saw an elderly woman struggling with shopping bags while crossing the street. Aside for the obvious safety concern my heart went out for her and I ran to help her carry her packages to her car. It suddenly dawned on me. How many times a day this must be happening all over town. I decided right then and there to start an organization that would tackle this urgent, often overlooked need. I called a meeting the next day with noted askonim and hired someone to help us get started. We bought 2 old cars..and started patrolling the streets around shopping areas and baruch hashem were able to help 2 people that first day. Within a few weeks we rented an office and added 2 more cars. You know people ask me..is it worth it?..

David:
I was just about to...

Founder and Executive Director:
But you know when I see the look of gratitude and relief on an elderly persons face when we pull up..yes it makes it all worth it. What a Zechus!
After a few months it became obvious I’d be needing serious funds to keep us going. We hired an advertising agency to create the kind of tear jerker advertisements that get people to part with their hard earned money. I quit my job and added myself to the payroll as well as the two yungerleit that were now full time employed.
Look out the window, see that fleet of souped up cars? It’s hard to believe we started with only 2 jalopies. We also hired a dispatcher and a toll free number for people to call when they spot someone in need. We can be at any point in town within 3 minutes. That’s something we’re very proud of.

David:
I...

Founder and Executive Director:
I see you looking around at my beautiful office...Can you believe we started out in a basement..without air conditioning?
Iy’h in 2 months we’re making a grand dinner in Lake Terrace. We’re preparing for a huge turnout as we’ve been advertising heavily and we’ve hired the best speakers. We also put together a video that we guarantee will not leave a dry eye in the hall. We’re counting on the oilam to help out. We have a huge budget to cover. Our advertising budget as well as day to day expenses is tremendous.

David:
Do you ever look back and..

Founder and Executive Director:
No not for a minute do I regret making this my lifes work. I was barely making money before anyway..
It makes you really proud. Mi keAmcha Yisroel!

David:
Indeed.
Well thanks for taking a few minutes out of your busy schedule...and Good Luck.






.