Tuesday, June 15, 2010

musings with clipboard in hand

The other day I was sitting in a medical office holding a clipboard in my hand with a simple form to fill out.
It was a Medical History Form. The question on top read "Have you ever suffered from the following conditions?"
And thus began the list. And I began checking off...no...no....no...no..
Alcoholism
Anemia
Anesthesia Problems
Arthritis
Asthma
Birth Defect
Bleeding Problems
Cancer, Breast
Cancer, Colon
Cancer, Melanoma
Cancer, Prostate
Cancer, Lung
Cancer, Other
Depression
Diabetes 1
Diabetes 2
Eczema
Epilepsy
Heart Problems
Kidney Disease...
and on and on

and I'm checking..no...no....no...and a lump forms in my throat (a benign one).
I think about the unbelievably complex human body and the myriad of things that can go wrong. And at that moment I feel so grateful, but I also feel like a ticking time bomb...



.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mystery Woman said...

I know the feeling.
It's how I feel when a healthy baby is born. So many things that can go wrong....makes me realize how miraculous this perfect baby is.

June 16, 2010 9:32 AM  
Anonymous eve said...

Asher yatzar..

June 16, 2010 9:39 AM  
Blogger halfshared said...

Hey, that's so true. I've never thought of it in that way (to notice and be grateful for everything that is right) and not wait until something goes wrong. Thanks for the reminder. May you be able to keep on checking no...no...no...until 120.

June 16, 2010 11:00 AM  
Blogger Soul Comfort said...

we have so much to be thankful for...

June 16, 2010 9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

August 01, 2010 6:43 AM  
Blogger Rachelli Dreyfuss said...

I know what you mean... it scares me every time I go in and start marking X's in the "no" box... and fear that one day i may mark yes in one of them...

December 04, 2010 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home