Sunday, July 04, 2010

an oscillating summer memory




there was a time
....in my distant past
a time before every last
room was cooled artificially
before kids rooms had their own a/c..

I'd lay there in my bed...
old grey radio by my head..
trying desperately to place the staticy line..
on that half of millimeter on the AM dial
that would get me some kinda reception, no matter how pale
to the yankees game playing..
......to no avail

So I'd lay there in the summer evening heat..
twisting and turning between the sheets
it was then that I first came to know my strange friend
my four legged white buddy with his oscillating head

oh how he'd wash me with cool air for a precious few
before turning away, leaving me in a hot stew
as he rustles an unfastened paper in the far corner of the room
I patiently await his return.....not a moment too soon



.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Soul Comfort said...

I still use the oscillating friend sometimes.
My husband hates fans, so it can't be that often.
I happen to love the feel of wind (not AC) in my face, and the only time I get to feel that nowadays is with a fan. (open windows in a car don't bode well for sheitels.)

July 05, 2010 5:54 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Oh I like fans as well.
I just dont like the oscillating part.
Basically you have 4 seconds to try to fall asleep before the fan turns its head...lol

July 06, 2010 11:39 AM  
Anonymous corner point said...

Why oscillate, then? Pull that little stopper thing up and no more sporadic heat baths.

I don't like fans much. I mean, they're wonderful if there's nothing else... but in a 100 degree apartment, a fan just blows around 100 degree air. And makes you thirsty. We've found that putting the window fan on exhaust makes things cooler (if you could call it cooler...) than keeping it on intake.

Thank G-d for air conditioners!

July 06, 2010 2:03 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

cp
well my siblings were also entitled to their 4 seconds of breeze

July 07, 2010 8:26 AM  
Blogger Mystery Woman said...

lol..I had the same question as Coner Point. Forgot about the siblings...

July 07, 2010 10:50 AM  
Blogger corner point said...

Lol! Heh...also forgot about the others...

July 08, 2010 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all this talk of fans and air conditioners...i have only one cooling option in this glorious heat, a kiddie pool i barely fit into. i confess i force swimming activities on my child for an excuse to jump in.

July 09, 2010 4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home