Monday, March 19, 2012

The Longest Courtship


.


I always assumed it was mine.
It just belonged to me like her white desk by the window.
The one with all her little things in little holders..
But as I walk beside her..
Her long brown hair flowing in the breeze.
I long to see beyond the smile..and beyond the frown..
The changing persona..and the distance between us..
If it takes a hundred years to figure out..
And then another thousand to glue back together...
I'll do it with her.
Just as I helped string her bracelet..last week.

I know now...that the love at first sight..of the first 11 years..
Could hardly be called love anymore..
That this courtship...might just be the longest, most arduous journey I've ever taken.
That..her soft cheek..might never feel my lips again..
She hands me the balloon of expectations....and I release it into the clear blue sky..
To her delightful laughter..
And together we watch it ride a breeze..
Now it's all so new..this young woman whose love I want so desperately..
And me..whose love I know she needs so desperately..
So..I'll tell it to her again and again...

Those things we assume are ours need to be earned each day anew..
And of those precious things...there's none more precious..
..than a daughters....love




.

6 Comments:

Blogger Altie said...

This is a beautiful poem.

March 19, 2012 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Ruth.E said...

Be still, my beating heart. That is beautiful, David.

March 19, 2012 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beautiful and so true.

March 19, 2012 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Yocheved said...

Tears...

March 20, 2012 10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some people write words in strings and that's all they r. words in strings. but this is beautiful.

June 25, 2012 11:10 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

amazing.

July 16, 2012 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home