Friday, July 23, 2010

message erased




Every year when the waning days of Sefira and the 3 weeks come around and I'm around my friends and colleagues, I can feel this sense of unease grow ever so slowly like the stubble creeping down my neck.
The source of this tension is the usually hidden white hairs that suddenly make their bi-annual appearance when shaving is not allowed.
In contrast, the day after Tisha B'Av and Lag B'Omer one walks in to shul to a room full of baby faced men, relieved at being able to brutally eliminate these horrific reminders of their aging.

I think that Hashem sends us subtle reminders, to remind us that our years on this earth are limited.
He sends us white hairs and wrinkles amongst other not so subtle reminders.

Short messages on our answering machine.

"Hi..this is your father in heaven, just a little reminder that another year has gone..and you won't be here forever...can't wait to see you..."

These messages are duly erased as they come in, by use of shavers, dyes and botox.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be erased, I'm just saying it might be worthwhile to listen to the message before the delete button is pressed, it just might be important.


.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sun Inside Rain said...

Love this message! And I like how you think into things and see things that other people wouldn't even notice...

July 23, 2010 1:20 PM  
Blogger Mystery Woman said...

Some people get the message at 25, while others don't get it until they're 45. Which would you rather be?

July 26, 2010 9:36 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

well I'm still waiting for my first white hairs.

July 28, 2010 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home