Monday, August 30, 2010

come dryve me unto shoppe will ye?




Languages evolve. This is something that everyone can agree on, Creationists and Darwinists alike.
If you were to read The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer you would need a dictionary to understand one sentence.
Here's an example...
Freres and feendes been but lyte asonder.
For, pardee, ye han ofte tyme herd telle
How that a frere ravyshed was to helle
In spirit ones by a visioun;
And as an angel ladde hym up and doun,
To shewen hym the peynes that the were,

Even Shakespeare can be challenging to the modern English reader. Olde English has different words spelling and even letters.

It is therefore quite perplexing to me how one olde english word somehow managed to sneak back into the vernacular.
I'm suddenly seeing it all over the place and it makes no sense. The word is shoppe. (pronounced shop-pi-peh)
So English dropped many extra letters as well as the e that used to end many words, and shoppe became shop just as olde became old.
Until now.
The Suit Shoppe
The Shoppes at Old Bridge
The Vitamin Shoppe
and so on...
I really don't get it. Is it supposed to sound upper class?
Hath thou any idea of what shoppes wovld look lyke back in the daye when shops were shoppes?
They were dirty smelly holes in the walls.
What's upscale about that?

I just don't know.
I suppose I'll jvste heade on over unto thy suit shoppe and get fitted for a newe tunic for yom tov....




.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Sun inside Rain said...

Lol, very cute post. I think it is meant to sound upper class but you wish anyone thinks into these things...

Besides for bloggers, of course.

August 30, 2010 3:48 PM  
Anonymous jack said...

I lol'd when I read this. I actually did read the Canterbury Tales in HS and I remember the foreign sounding language upon which ours us supposedly based; loosely, apparently, from the looks of it.

I just did a quick test and was right. My hypothesis was that the areas in the Continental US that use old English words and think it sounds highfalutin would be large cities and surrounding suburbs. Then I googled the word "shoppe" and clicked maps, and if you pan out to see the entire country at once, it seems as if the whole eastern seaboard had broken out in some weird rash, and it's spreading like wyldfyre acrosse the Midweste, moste hastily. The other region that has such a medical anomaly is SoCal, but like, maybe the philosophy's different there...?

Thanks, man!

August 31, 2010 8:33 PM  
Blogger Soul Comfort said...

This is really funny.

September 03, 2010 12:37 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

s.i.r.
I wonder who thought about these things before blogs...

jack..
well I lol'd at ur comment..

Wow..you could write a paper on this..

SC
tks

September 07, 2010 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home