Sunday, August 01, 2010

I'm a great big boy..I'm 5!


August 2005 I started blogging.

That makes David 5 years old.

It feels like yesterday that I posted my first silly post on my old blog and slowly found my voice and style of writing.
I feel G-dlike watching generations of commenters and bloggers come, leave their mark and disappear into the great unknown never to be heard from again.
While I'm fated to live to all eternity..
I look at a blogroll from 5 years ago, or the comments from back then and no one is around anymore.
So why do I still do this 550 posts later..?

Because I thoroughly enjoy writing and expressing myself.

Blogging is very different than writing for traditional media, in that you're not restricted by quotas nor are you required to fill pages with unnecessary words. I like that I can hone in on an thought, an emotion or an idea and let the bare minimum amount of words (and dots) create the greatest impact.
So even though 3-4 years ago I averaged 30-40 comments per post and now I get 3-4 I'll still write, because I feel the need to.

So I sit here and wonder, what ever happened to....nobody28...frumgirl.....
anonym00kie....limey...
lakewoodventer.....socialworker...
zenjew......genendy...TB.......
kasamba....towik.....matahari.....
openup......moiy....pragmatician....
shpitzle....chana....nemo...megapixel....
come running.....dreamer...chavera...sabra....sara sans h....
shopa and karl.......also a chussid......hbj...........
masmida..........yud#21.......talmid....
..fajita..frum idealism....eshet.....allie....
and so many others that have contributed to the liveliness of this blog of the years.
I hope you're looking down from a better place.

Finally I'd like to thank the good folks at the Make a Wish Foundation for making my wish a reality and finding people to comment and say such wonderful things. I feel real bad about lying about my illness though...

Well here's to another 5 years!



.

17 Comments:

Anonymous chav said...

Ben chomesh shonim l'mikreh...

My deepest congratulations upon reaching this most noteworthy achievement in blogging milestones! I know I don't stand alone when I say that I look forward to at least another 5 years of the boisterous stomping of your words (...and the inimitable pitter-patter of your dots).

And as for your friends...well, they've all been published, my good man! And after that triumph (which we expect from you no less than they!) they've all laid very low, having assumed less pretentious monikers than the likes of Hoizentragerin or Lakewood Schmuck.


(and if i were you...i'd hide. Make a Wish found out, and they ain't laughin)

August 02, 2010 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Sun Inside Rain said...

Hey, congratulations! (Only 5 years? You're practically an institution by now!)

Many more years.....I enjoy reading your thoughts.

August 02, 2010 11:58 AM  
Blogger Mystery Woman said...

Congratulations!
Your blog changed a lot over the years...and it's still one of the best blogs out there.
Interesting reading all those old names. Feels like yesterday...

August 02, 2010 12:20 PM  
Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

congrats!
can't believe it's been that long.
still enjoying :)

August 02, 2010 12:49 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Thank you...all
Iy'h by you..

August 06, 2010 3:07 PM  
Blogger Something Different said...

COngrats! Five years is an extraordinary feat.

August 10, 2010 11:31 AM  
Anonymous towik said...

Hey you, it'll have to be a quick one today - but happy birthday - and I'm with you on doing it for the enjoyment and creativity. you go, my boy! woo hoo!

August 11, 2010 2:37 PM  
Anonymous dreamer said...

I'm still around.
Just quieter.
(figured I'd pipe up and let you know that I still exist)

August 11, 2010 9:40 PM  
Anonymous dreamer said...

oh, and i saw that line about your dots..........
:)
still dotty, aint you?

August 11, 2010 9:41 PM  
Blogger Soul Comfort said...

I love that song. (I'm five, I'm five!)
My siblings and I used to sing it all the time.

And as for the milestone of five years in the blogging business, I should hope I'm still around in five year, but blogging about a rather different sort of topic.

August 11, 2010 9:44 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

wow...voices from beyond....
Thanks for stopping by.

August 15, 2010 1:16 PM  
Blogger Bas~Melech said...

Happy birthday!

I'm still here, just got shy as more IRL people found me :-(

("the inimitable pitter-patter of your dots." Hm, I like it :-)

August 15, 2010 1:30 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Bas...
I know you're still around...that's why you're not on my list of bloggers that have passed on....dot dot dot..

August 15, 2010 1:58 PM  
Anonymous corner point said...

I think it's cool that you're still blogging after five years. Around here, that's pretty impressive...

In '07 I was inspired and I wrote...and I wrote for a bit...and then when '10 came along, it kinda fizzled out of me. I'm still inspired, but I can't write it anymore. Do teach, please.

August 17, 2010 5:26 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

cp...
Yes..definitely rare...either it's impressive or else..I have no life..
still not sure..lol

August 22, 2010 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TB here for roll call, albeit a couple of months late!

Still love your writing... check in every so often...

TB

October 06, 2010 2:48 AM  
Anonymous Tracey said...

COngrats! Five years is an extraordinary feat.

November 01, 2012 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home