Wednesday, October 27, 2010

yetzer hara misnomer

Evil Inclination

Something sound off?
Am I the only one perplexed at this strange juxtaposition?

EVIL is such an absolute term. We think of the most vile people associated with the word evil.
And there's inclination...y'know kinda inclined this way..could go the other way...

Sounds like..
Hitler was really on the fence with what to do about the Jews, but at the end he was inclined to gas them.

I mean I would think reclined would make more sense than inclined.

So perhaps we should change it to "mischievous inclination"..or something like that.


.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mystery Woman said...

Ok...I don't know if this was meant to be funny, but I laughed. You have a unique way of seeing things!

October 27, 2010 2:49 PM  
Anonymous Sun inside Rain said...

I was going to try to argue this...but when it came down to putting it into words, I realized that you actually do make sense. Someone that does something because his yetzer hara got the better of him, shouldn't be considered evil in any shape or form. Like you said, Hitler was evil; I wouldn't put the rest of us well-meaning humans on the same level.

October 28, 2010 11:33 AM  
Anonymous chav said...

I don't like the way 'mischievous' sounds, either. it sounds more like a leprechaun cackling madly as he sneaks glue into your shoes. is that your image of people are when they are driven to sin?

I prefer the term 'mosquito bite.' That's the feel of a sin begging to be committed.

October 28, 2010 11:40 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

well it was kinda on the fence between serious and funny....but inclined toward funny..

SIR
absolutely

chav
I just forwarded the suggestion to artscroll..
"Please forgive us for the iniquities we have done with our Mosquite-Bite like Inclination"

Actually...I do possess the terrible urge to glue peoples shoes...

October 29, 2010 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home