Monday, January 01, 2007

There's a strange woman in my room..




Picture was taken one foggy morning last week at dawn..

There’s a strange woman in my bedroom.
I don’t know who she is. I’m not even sure when I started noticing her but there she is night after night. Her looks, her habits and voice all seem very familiar as if I had been more wrapped up in her in a previous lifetime.
This bizarre arrangement makes as much sense as that odd bearded Frenchman whose been painting in the corner of my kitchen for the past month.
And yet this is my life so we seem to tolerate each other’s existence.

There is this strange wall that appeared with her that grows and shrinks at odd times. At times it grows so big and black that it just smothers my beating heart and I run under my covers. It seems the more I see her the less I know her and it seems she feels the same about me. Yet there are definitely moments of joy that evoke the moment the sun bursts through dark thunderclouds. These moments bolster that feeling that we somehow know each other in a different existence. Perhaps in a previous lifetime we were a comedy troupe or peanut butter and jelly. I often wonder how and what she thinks about my presence in her life.

And so last week after a particularly cold and icy day, at that moment of relief that often washes over me the moment she falls asleep and the tension dissipates, I happened to chance upon a notebook to see a little essay she’s writing. It’s entitled “There’s a strange man in my bedroom”. A little nightlight went on in my head. It was right then and there that I decided to give up trying to remember where I know her from and what that was like.
I decided to focus on her now and who she is. I lifted the quill from the inkwell and started filling in the essay for her at her little table. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched her sleep from the corner of my eye as I furiously wrote all about me and my life, my tongue busily licking at the corner of my mouth. As the rooster announced dawns approach I finally wrapped it up. And when I was done I put down my quill and took a sledgehammer and started banging away at that wall waking her in the process.
Imagine the look of puzzlement on her face as I slashed and bashed away. What the heck are you doing? She asked. So I put down the sledgehammer and started jumping on her bed forcing her up. After a few jumps we were beside ourselves with laughter tumbling all over each other. Out of breath I looked up into her eyes and asked “Hey you..wanna go out on a date one of these days, I’d really like get to know you?"

Her smile lit up the room. I suddenly remembered where I knew her from.


.

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Shpitzle Shtrimpkind said...

Beautiful!

I read some of your poetry on your old blog and your writing and message, both moved me immensely.

January 01, 2007 9:42 PM  
Blogger C said...

That's really beautiful.
The post is sad, but the ending is so hopeful...well written.

January 01, 2007 11:16 PM  
Blogger the only way i know said...

Oh my G-d!
I have no idea why I'm crying - music and story combined...
That was so beautiful...and I haven't a clue as to what it means!
lol...
This was stunning! I think an explanation would detract from its mystery and beauty .
Thanks for writing and sharing, young genius.

January 02, 2007 6:18 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I echo what everyone else said, perfect thing to say and glad she said ok:).

January 02, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

So complicated yet it was a very soothing read.

January 02, 2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger anonym00kie said...

so sad..
but the ending is hopeful..
i just hope its not fantasy..

and btw.. the odd frenchman?? is he single? :)

January 02, 2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

beautiful writing.
and photo as well.

January 02, 2007 8:11 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Thanks shpitzle
u aint too bad urself..

moiy...
hmmm

chaya...
yup thats the idea..
Thanks for stopping by..

Towik...
explanation in my next post..u can close ur eyes if ud like
:-)

swfm...
thanks
:)

prag...
I'm glad..explanation coming soon

Larry...
Thanks..yes my office view is not mch better..

m00ks..
I tried asking him..but he doesnt talk...lol

sarah...
thank u

January 02, 2007 9:19 PM  
Blogger chaverah said...

DAVID OMG, BEAUTIFUL! That was hands down the best post, in my book, on your blog! JUST STUNNING! There is an actual tear running down my cheek. The music adds so much! BRAVO!

January 02, 2007 9:23 PM  
Blogger chav said...

you write so beautifully.

proud to call you one of our "own" (08701)

January 02, 2007 11:52 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Chaverah...
Thank u...wow

thanks ayala....stay tuned for the explanation..

chav..
aww..proud to be here

January 03, 2007 11:07 AM  
Blogger Open Up! said...

yes too often we get caught up in the fog of life without really looking where we're going...co-existing....each day pssing by just like the one before...i'm glad you took that sledgehammer and poked through to reveal a whole new light...i hope it continues to shine bright and strong and never get cuaght up in the fog again :)

btw beautiful pic

January 03, 2007 11:41 AM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Your writing combined with the music was incredible!

January 03, 2007 12:26 PM  
Blogger yingerman said...

ouch.
sad.
I love happy endings.

January 03, 2007 1:51 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 03, 2007 3:20 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Open
hmmm interesting way of blending pic and story...
and yes that is true..

kas...
thanks

yinger...
yes alls well that ends well

January 03, 2007 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy shit

January 03, 2007 7:11 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

LD...

?

January 03, 2007 9:00 PM  
Blogger exsemgirl said...

Beautiful.

Lump in my throat.

January 04, 2007 8:40 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

tuesday...
that certainly is true and if I'm correct the basis of Shmuley Boteach book Kosher Adultery.


exsem...
Thank u...

January 04, 2007 10:34 AM  
Blogger beautiful-stranger said...

beautiful!
and painfuly true!

January 04, 2007 12:59 PM  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

sigh

January 04, 2007 2:17 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

1beautiful...
Thanks..and painful at times

sara...
:-(

TheLaaamb...
Thank you..and flonky comment...
see next post..
oh u did already never mind

January 04, 2007 9:16 PM  
Blogger Allie said...

The tune is so familiar, it's driving me crazy. Maybe from my son's old mobile?
Oh btw, great post.. as usual.. :)

January 04, 2007 11:34 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

allie...
The music is called Claire de Lune by Claude Debussy
He was one of the Classical Impressionistic composers and this piece is meant to evoke a moon lit night...and I have always found it hauntingly beautiful..

and thanks...

January 05, 2007 9:46 AM  
Blogger chana said...

that was incredibly beautiful. i love the subtle honesty, refreshing realness...
life's like that, and it's these moments that make it worth living.
thank you

January 05, 2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Thanks Chana...and yes those are the moments...

January 08, 2007 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home