Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Deal


Over the next few months I will slowly move over all my favorite posts from my previous blog..So if you've seen this before just skip..or read it again...


When I was 14 and drastic changes were wreaking havoc to my body.
The child I was...
was afraid to let go,
to disappear along with his peers.

So my... new adolescent evolving self made a deal then with the fading child...
I told him he could come along and join me...
as long as he doesn’t make a total fool of me.

I’m thankful that he stayed.

Now I never get bored
of watching an airplane take off...
of seeing the Empire State Building..
of riding an escalator..of observing fields..beaches...marching bands..
of blowing bubbles...
the thrill of a new friendship...
the comfort of a long hug....
riding trains...
and roughhousing with my own kids....

He’s been a good companion..and he’s loving blogland as well....


and yes..He's psyched for Purim..
He still gets a thrill ripping into a new M'Manos looking for goodies...
:-)

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Bas~Melech said...

Glad to hear you've kept up with your inner child. In some ways I have, too, though at times I hear her starting to fall behind... so I slow down ;)

March 01, 2007 9:57 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I don't remember reading this one. Cool deal no wonder how you have that child like spirit that is felt in your posts. I have the kid in me and I didn't know where it came from now I know. I guess I must of made the same deal subconsciously:).

March 01, 2007 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i once sew a bumper sticker

I "REFUSE" TO GROW UP!!!

BUT MATTERS IN LIFE MAKE U GROW UP, LUCKY YOU THAT U CAN STILL FEEL THAT WAY

I HAVE GONE PAST THAT

March 01, 2007 11:07 PM  
Blogger smb said...

My inner child is also still with me. It's nice to have both

March 02, 2007 1:07 AM  
Blogger the dreamer said...

"I won't grow up...
I'll never grow up, never grow up,
Never grow u-up!
Not me.
Not I.
Not me.
So there!"

boy, do i love peter pan...

March 02, 2007 2:18 AM  
Blogger Bas~Melech said...

Dreamer-- If you're referring to the book, I agree fully. If you're talking about the Disney movie, eh. The funny thing is, I think it was written as a play first-- it's actually the book that's an adaptation.

The only deal I made with myself as a child is that I would never forget what it was like. And I haven't. You will not catch me saying, "Oh, to be young again" or any foolishness like that. Being a kid is hard, underappreciated work.
It had never occured to me that the spark of wonder would ever go anywhere. It hasn't, though sometimes I ignore its insistent tug in my haste :( Poor kid...

March 02, 2007 2:57 AM  
Blogger Independent Frum Thinker said...

Young at heart.... :)

March 02, 2007 2:15 PM  
Blogger Shpitzle Shtrimpkind said...

Great poem! Hope there wasn't an outbreak between your Purim-loving-inner-kid and Sober-introvert-adult.

Peaceful Shishan Purim!

March 05, 2007 8:31 PM  
Blogger the sabra said...

hey i remember this one
the picture as well
the picture especially

March 09, 2007 9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home