Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Seder of dreams


Everything was so perfect..
The table shimmering white..
Silver, gleaming..
My first Pesach Seder..at home..
The kids ..like angels...
Saying Divrei Torah..
Asking questions..
Little Avi saying the Mah Nishtana so sweetly
Mommy glowing with pride..
Everyone singing...
Suddenly
Everything started going blurry..
My hearing..muffled..
The sounds of harps..filling the room...
Then..back into focus...
My wifes exasperated face..
Davidd!!! Where are you??
Huh?..
Oh my God..
Avi get down from the piano!!
Yanky...How could you leave your Hagaddah in Yeshiva?
Don't you remember anything your Rebbe told you?
Guys pleeeeassseee no Harry Potter at the Seder...
Alright..whoever sits nicely while I say this story will get a special prize...

See?..that was fun..

right?

And so, now as then this rag tag of imperfect
yet well meaning sojourners..
hurriedly left Mitzrayim..
with stained shirts and somewhat of an appreciation of what it means to be a Jew...

The moment Yom Tov was over I called my Grandfather and told him next year we hoped to be at his Seder again..where somehow he manages to cast a spell with his real life tales that I can never match...

And I wonder what everyones rush to make their "own seder" is...

.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-) by me it was divided into 2 nights, one day was like the dream... b"h

April 11, 2007 4:20 PM  
Blogger smb said...

lol

For me I want to have my own or go to someone else's so can I enjoy a nice change of pace

April 11, 2007 6:46 PM  
Blogger chana said...

yeah... wen those days are gone you miss them so much.
until five years ago when my zeide passed away, we never made pesach. every year we just moved into my grandparents' house for the whole yomtov. now sometimes i almost forget how i ever loved pesach.

it just isn't ever the same.

April 11, 2007 7:10 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Too bad the dream was just a dream...

April 11, 2007 7:51 PM  
Blogger the dreamer said...

I LOVE Pesach with the gantze mishpachah. Now that some of my sibs don't come, it's kinda sad.
And nothing beats stealing my grandfather's afikoman!

April 11, 2007 10:07 PM  
Blogger Bas~Melech said...

Awww...

It's times like this when we must remember not to waste it idealizing your dream... the reality is its own kind of perfection, a unique opportunity for... something...

Our seder was kind of like that, too, though the second night was much better. Of course, when I make my own it will be perfect :P ;)

April 12, 2007 4:04 AM  
Blogger Open Up! said...

mah nishtane haseder haze mikol hasedarim lifneihem? lol....there's nothing like being with family for the yomim tovim...no matter how much packing and kvecthing and crowding and noise...i wouldn't trade it for the world (shh don't ask my hubby)

April 12, 2007 2:31 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

nuch....
was it the first or second?

lvnsm...
nah...I like the familiar on this night..

chana...
exactly...
my best memries are of camping out with all my cousins on pesach at my grandparens small apt..

swfm...
its just a blog post...
:-)

the_dreamer...
it is sad..when the family drifts apart.
what did u ask for?
:-)

bas_melech...
well said...
Life is about reacting to reality not obsessing on your ideal..
The memories are made of spilled grape juice not..picture perfection..

Open...
I couldnt agree more..

April 12, 2007 9:07 PM  
Blogger the dreamer said...

David - a lolly-pop.
:P

April 13, 2007 10:19 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

dreamer...
oh. what color?

April 13, 2007 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First was the dream

April 13, 2007 1:47 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

nuch...
yea..I hear that.
A second seder is one of the cruelest parts of being in galus

April 13, 2007 4:41 PM  
Blogger the dreamer said...

orange.

always was my favorite flavor.

April 13, 2007 6:59 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

dreamer....
Oh..u mstve got alot of lollypops growing up then..
No one wanted the orange ones..
:-)

tuesday...
see?..it can work then
The problem is when the oldest ones arethe little ones..

April 15, 2007 12:06 PM  
Blogger the dreamer said...

Y'know what?
I did!

I never did quite understand the mashal on bechirah with the cchoice of red and green lollypops.
lol.

April 15, 2007 4:55 PM  
Blogger ann said...

we came out of bondage for me to be a slave to my family... oy vay!

April 15, 2007 6:49 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

dreamer...
smart...if u travel your own path...you have plenty of space...
As for me?..I was a yellow lolly guy all the way..lol

ann...
lol yup...and no Moses in sight

April 15, 2007 7:18 PM  
Blogger the dreamer said...

yellow?

so much for smilies...

April 15, 2007 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home