Wednesday, January 24, 2007

My Hero


Thank you Gonzo and Anonym00kie for tagging me...

Hero is not a term to be taken lightly.

But the truth is if you look around you will find heroes all around you..even here in our midst I’ve been inspired by a few bloggers. Someone like Anonym00ks who gave up a life and love to chase the truth... truly humbles me with her clear insights and struggles.

I want to focus on the person that had the greatest impact on my life.

My Grandfather may he live many more healthy years.
A rare man in so many ways.
A true aristocrat.
His childhood is hidden behind the veil of history.
He was a tremendous Masmid back in Europe and came from an extraordinarily poor family.
He would often tell me stories of sitting down to Shabbos meals with old bread and some milk.
I don’t know much about his experiences during the war as he never talks about it. I do know that he lost his parents, 6 siblings and his entire world.
He established a new life with my grandmother may she live..and have what can only called a perfect marriage. You’ve never seen more opposite people..yet they’re so in love. I often catch them staring at one another across the table all teary eyed..or holding hands when no one is watching.
My Grandfather is a tall, handsome and softspoken man with beautiful blue eyes and a great sense of humour.
The concept of quarelling or animosity doesn’t exist for him.
Before every Simcha he aways comes over to me and tells me that he doesn’t want any honors and whenever any issues would come he’d always make the same self effacing face and tell me it’s not worth arguing.
He gives 2 shiurim a day and always has a sefer in his hand.

But what’s truly remarkable is how he related to me and how involved he was in my life. I always felt he was the one person who always understood me and always called him for advice.
When I went to camp or yeshiva he’d send me 3-4 pages letters every few weeks..so full of love and gentle musser.
He mastered the art of rebuke and Tochacha and always strove to perfect my life.
Coaching me in proper table ettiquette.
Encouraging me to learn on Chol Hamoed.
Always wanting to learn with me.
One of the most important lessons he taught me was that one can find opportunities for chessed and acts of kindness almost every minute of the day and always taught me to be vigilant of that. His business ethic was rare. He would convince people who he knew could not afford what he was selling not to buy his goods..telling them instead to buy something less expensive. It’s a miracle he made any money at all.

I am so lucky to have had a hero like this in my life..to love me like he did and to guide me.
My Zaidie is a perfect man in my eyes and in the eyes of many others and he’s my hero.
A true aristocrat.


My second hero..is Spiderman.


.

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger chav said...

What a bracha for you to have someone like that in your life! I am even happier for your kids that they have an elter zeide - a luxury not afforded to too many people, unfortunately.

The last line killed me, though.

January 24, 2007 9:04 PM  
Blogger Independent Frum Thinker said...

What a wonderful Grandfather. It's beautiful when grandchildren appreciate the "older generation" so much.

January 24, 2007 11:35 PM  
Blogger anonym00kie said...

first of all.. what the heck am i doing on the same post as your amazing-sounding grandfather!? and second of all, what an amazing sounding grandfather - sounds so inspiring. i love that you didnt just talk about all the sweet/fun things he did.. but you admire all the great qualities like his ability to rebuke, his love of learning. thats really what makes a great person, to be able to combine all that with so much love and tenderness.
beautiful post

January 25, 2007 12:34 AM  
Blogger rebeccabeth said...

Wow... it's so special that you have him in your life, and that you have the sensitivity to truly appreciate him. Wishing you the strength to always follow in the path he showed you !! :)

January 25, 2007 12:43 AM  
Blogger Dovid said...

Beautiful post. Your Zeide sounds like a great man.
And m00kie, you just have to resign to the hero role. Buy a cape or something. Sabra thinks so too.

January 25, 2007 1:02 AM  
Blogger Mata Hari said...

That's beautiful David. That whole generation - well...they don't make them like that anymore.
I wish you that your children should look up to you as their hero as well.
MH

January 25, 2007 9:56 AM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

That makes so much sense.
I can't stand it when people call someone who appears in movies or who knows how to throw a ball a hero.

This is so much better.

January 25, 2007 10:56 AM  
Blogger exsemgirl said...

Beautiful inspiring post.
Thank you.

January 25, 2007 12:30 PM  
Blogger ann said...

You have been blessed a million times over to be part of such a legacy. Your zaide is a real gitte neshumah.

January 25, 2007 2:39 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Chav...
Yes thats true...they love him..
and that last line was just to make sure ur paying attention..lol

IFT...
yes..
some grandfathers make it easier though..for grandchildren to appreciate them...

M00kie...
dont be so humble..
Thanks..

rebecca...
Thanks and amen...
You have a beautiful blog there..

dovid..
thanks..he sure is..

MH..
Thanks...what a beautiful bracha

prag...
Thanks,,,is spiderman ok?

exsem...
thank u

ann..
Thanks..He sure is

January 25, 2007 3:44 PM  
Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

your grandfather sounds like a great person and wonderful to learn from and be around.

:)

January 25, 2007 4:15 PM  
Blogger kasamba said...

Your Zaide sounds amazing!!!
(And we all know about Spiderman!)

January 25, 2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

Since I assume Spiderman was injected for comic effect, of course it's ok.:)

January 26, 2007 4:28 AM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

That is a true hero, beautiful and as to your second hero (clearing throat, gasp..)yup great one lol.

January 26, 2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger Rivka Photography said...

Is your third hero Catwoman?

January 26, 2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger Bonnie B said...

Spiderman is pretty cool, but your grandpa sounds like a real hero

January 26, 2007 5:58 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

sarah..
thanks...He sure is

kas...
Thanks..
and no..not everyone knows what we know about spiderman..gotta spread the word..lol

prag..
oh ok..good..

swfm...
Glad u agree..
:-)

rivka...
Thats it..I only have 2..

January 27, 2007 11:01 PM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

bonnie...
Well..he's mine..thats for sure

January 27, 2007 11:02 PM  
Blogger megapixel said...

David - really nice!
yknow I still have one grandmother and my kids are sort of afraid of her. I cant understand why they would find a nice old lady threatening... Do you find that with your kids as well?

January 28, 2007 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Zaidy, I understand. But Spiderman? What the hell?

January 28, 2007 9:21 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

megapixel...
bh..my kids have 5 great grandparents...and they react differently with all of them..
With the subject of this post...theyre very close to..He knows how to relate to them..its incredible..

itsallgood...
what?
spinning webs...flying thru the streets and saving innocent people iz bei dir a kleinigkeit?

January 28, 2007 1:25 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I really enjoyed reading about your zayde. Sounds like a wonderful, wonderful man.

January 31, 2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Thanks Stacey
He sure is...

January 31, 2007 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home